Writing In English: Step by Step
Beginning. Middle School to Adult
A systematic approach to writing clear, coherent, grammatically-correct paragraphs.
For ESL students and native English speakers with limited knowledge of English grammar and sentence structure
by Elizabeth Weal
illustrated by Anastasia Ionkin
Writing in English: Step by Step
This book is for students with limited knowledge of English grammar. It offers them a systematic approach to writing as they progress slowly and methodically, with ample practice at each step along the way.
The book starts with the basics - the difference between a word, a sentence, and a paragraph. It teaches the difference between a paragraph and a list, and how to distinguish complete and incomplete sentences.
The following aspects of basic writing are covered:
- Conventions: punctuation and capitalization
- Fundamentals of a paragraph: topic sentence, supporting information
- Sentence structure: simple, compound, and complex
- Grammar: simple present, present continuous, past, and future tense/aspect constructions and usage; negative sentences; stative verbs; nonreferential there is/are; frequency adverbs; and adjectives
- Parts of speech
The book can be used as a text in ESL, ABE, or basic composition classes. All necessary instructions to the teacher are in the book.
- Introduction ... vi
- Chapter 1: All About Me ... 1
- Chapter 2: All About My Classmate ... 13
- Chapter 3: A Typical Day ... 23
- Chapter 4: My Weekend ... 39
- Chapter 5: Writing About a Picture: Part 1 ... 55
- Chapter 6: Writing About a Picture: Part 2 ... 69
- Chapter 7: A Special Person ... 85
- Chapter 8: My Hometown ... 99
- Chapter 9: My Hometown: Pros and Cons ... 113
- Chapter 10: What I Did Yesterday ... 131
- Chapter 11: A Special Day ... 147
- Chapter 12: The Vacation of My Dreams ... 161
- Appendix A: Spelling Rules ... 177
- Appendix B: Irregular Past Tense Verbs ... 179
- Glossary ... 180
- Index ... 182