Transitioning from Adult Education to a Career.
by Barbara D'Emilio and Ruth Ticktin
Intermediate to Advanced
High School, Adult, GED
This book is for the intermediate to advanced ELL or Adult Education student who is considering pursuing a career after leaving an English language or GED program. It explores six careers where job growth is expected in the 21st century.
The careers investigated:
- Computer Technology
- Skilled Trades
- Hospitality and Food Service
- Your Own Business
- Day Care and Education
The eight units of the text follow people (Mitali from India, Hana from Egypt, Gamba from Cameroon, Luz from Nicaragua , Tadesse from Ethiopia, and Ahn Dung from Vietnam) as they work toward a successful career in the United States.
In addition to providing readings about the careers, the text asks the students to engage in discussions and tasks that will help them clarify their own skills, needs, and interests. The vocabulary (160 words) associated with each field is also studied.
A What's Ahead? Teacher's Supplement provides photocopyable supplementary material for students and teacher references to make planning the transition course easier and more effective.
- Introduction ... 1
- The 13 Sections of Each Unit ... 2
- Teaching Notes for the 8 Units ... 4
- Unit Reviews ... 7
- Answers for the Word Study Exercises ... 15
- The Job Board ... 16
- EFF Readiness Profile ... 17
- Career Survey/Questionnaire ... 18
- Additional Readings ... 20
- To the Teacher • vi
- Introduction for the Student • ix
- Unit 1: Introduction to the Workforce • 1
- Unit 2: Health Careers (Hana) • 10
- Unit 3: Skilled Trades (Gamba) • 18
- Unit 4: Your Own Business (Tadesse) • 26
- Unit 5: Computer Technology (Anh Dung) • 34
- Unit 6: Hospitality & Food Service (Mitali) • 42
- Unit 7: Day Care & Education (Luz) • 52
- Unit 8: Putting It All Together • 62
- Resources • 69
- Glossary • 70